Most of us know that we shouldn't flash large wads of cash around while we are walking down a poorly lit road at night. We've seen enough and read enough news stories about horrible things happening to people. Although we know violent crimes and simple crimes happen to people every minute of every day, we don't ever believe it will happen to us, until one day... it does. Here is a list of precautions to take that will hopefully help you avoid a situation.
- If walking by yourself at night, call someone on your cell phone and ask them to talk with you until you arrive to your destination safely.
- Don't walk the dog or go for a run in the early morning or late at night when streets tend to be deserted. If you must go at these times, take a buddy. There is safety in numbers.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to what people around you are doing so you may avoid accidents.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street or change directions. If they follow you, head for a store or restaurant. If there are none nearby, head toward a lit house. Yell for help if you need to.
- Don't display cash or other valuables as they are desirable items to criminals.
- Don't carry large amounts of cash. Try to only carry what you will need for that day.
- If someone tries to rob you, give up your property. Its not worth giving up your life.